A taste that lingers in your mouth. Take a break from the regular chicken curry and try this absolutely flavorful version ‘Indonesian Chicken Curry’. The addition of lemongrass gives it a lovely aroma. Coconut cream enhances the taste manifold. Just get a few key ingredients and get cooking. If you can’t find those ingredients then get an Indonesian Curry Paste (I love the brand ‘dancing chef’) and Coconut Cream/Milk from the supermarket and go on with the cooking.
Preparation Time 15-20 minutes
Cooking Time 20-25 minutes
Main Ingredients Chicken Breasts, Black Bean Sauce & Capsicum (Bell Peppers)
Level of Cooking Medium
- Chicken Legs (600 grams) – you can either keep the skin or remove it (I removed it)
- Potatoes 2 Big diced
- Curry Leaves 8-10
- Lemongrass 2 ground/pounded
- Galangal (a root from the ginger family, usually used in South-East Asian cooking) 1/2 inch ground/pounded
- Onion 2 large ground/pounded
- Shallots 6 ground/pounded
- Garlic 4-5 cloves ground/pounded
- Ginger 1/2 inch ground/pounded
- Red Chilli 1 or 2 (based on your preference) ground/pounded
- Tomato 1 big ground
- Olive Oil (or any cooking oil) 3 tablespoons
- Coconut Cream/Milk 200 grams
- Turmeric Powder 1 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Water 3 cups (you can add more for a thin consistency, then adjust the salt accordingly)
Heat oil in a big pan. Add curry leaves. After a minute, add all the ground/pounded ingredients except the tomato. Sauté the ingredients for 7-10 mins. on low-medium flames or till the paste starts separating from the oil. Add tomato and saute for 5 minutes. Add, turmeric and salt and mix well.
Add coconut cream/milk and mix well. Cover and cook for 5 minutes (add a cup or two of water if you want a thin curry and adjust the seasoning accordingly).
Serve hot with plain paratha or fragrant jasmine rice steamed. This dish tastes very delicious the next day too.