Tantalize your taste-buds with the delectable Prawn Curry this weekend! I am short of words for this sumptuous dish! Taking this to Angie’s Fiesta Friday #61 to share in our virtual party 😀
Let’s dive into the recipe;
Preparation Time 15-20 minutes
Cooking Time 20-25 minutes
Main Ingredients Prawns
Level Of Cooking Medium
- Prawns 18-20 (around 300 grams unshelled and deveined – I used the smaller ones with the tail)
- Chopped Onions 2 medium
- Chopped Tomato 1 big
- Grated Garlic 4 cloves finely chopped
- Grated Ginger 1 inch piece
- Green Chilli 1 broken (you can add more to make it more hot if you like)
- Salted Butter 1 tablespoon
- Mustard Oil (or any other cooking oil) 3 tablespoons
- Mustard Seeds 1 teasppon
- Curry Leaves 7-8 slightly broken with hands
- Red Chilli Powder 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder 1 teaspoon
- Garam Masala Powder 1 teaspoon
- Fish Curry Powder (optional) 1 teaspoon
- Black Pepper Powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Finely Powdered Almonds 1/4 cup (about 7-10 almonds)
- Fresh Coriander Leaves a few
- Lemon half
- Salt to taste
- Water 1 1/2 cup
Wash the Prawns well. (I used the frozen ones so I had to thaw for 15-20 mins by putting it under flowing water for 5 mins. and then keeping in a colander to strain for another 15 mins.). Add half the red chilli powder, a pinch of salt and a few drops of lemon juice to the prawns and mix well. Keep aside for 15 mins.
Heat oil in a large non-stick pan (kadhai). Add the mustard seeds and curry leaves. Once the seeds start crackling add chopped garlic and ginger and saute for a minute. Then add chopped onions and cook till golden brown. Add the chopped tomato and mix. Add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, fish curry powder (if available) and black pepper powder and mix well. Cook till soft and onion and tomato combined. Add prawns and mix. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
Add water and give a nice stir. After 2 minutes, add the almond powder and mix. Cover with a lid and cook till prawns are soft (about 7-10 minutes). Keep checking and stirring at intervals. Once the prawns are cooked check if the curry is too thick then add half a cup of hot water and cook for a minute. Add the salted butter and mix.
Finally, garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with steamed rice. Relish with your family and friends.
Happy Weekend! 🙂