Preparation Time 15-20 minutes
Cooking Time 15-20 minutes
Main Ingredients Brinjal/Aubergine
Level Of Cooking Medium
- Brinjal 500 grams
- Green Peas 1/2 cup boiled (optional)
- Oil 2 tablespoons
- Cumin Seeds 1/2 teaspoon
- Onions Chopped 2 medium
- Ginger Chopped 1 inch piece
- Garlic Chopped 3-4 cloves
- Green Chillies slit 1
- Tomato 1 medium
- Fresh Coriander Leaves 1/4 cup
- Coriander Powder 1 teaspoon
- Garam Masala 1 teaspoon
- Dry Mango Powder (Amchur) 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric 1/2 teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Baigan Bharta Masala (Alternate to Coriander Powder, Garam Masala Powder & Dry Mango Powder) Optional
- Ghee (clarified butter) 1 tablespoon
- Salt to taste
Roast the brinjal on low fire on all sides till the skin turns black. Remove from fire and peel off the skin. Wash and chop into large chunks.
Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. Add ginger and garlic and sauté till light brown. Add onions and sauté till golden brown. Sprinkle coriander powder. Add chopped tomatoes and cook on medium heat for three to five minutes or till soft.
Add brinjal pieces (optionally add half cup boiled peas). Add garam masala, dry mango powder (or baigan bharta powder), Chilli Powder and Salt to taste. Mix well. Add little water if required. Stir and fry till it turns light brown. Add ghee and mix.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with Roti (Indian Bread). Tomato wedges goes well on the side.
Relish your Palate!